In 1751 Saint Michael appeared to Antonia d’Astonac, a Carmelite nun in Portugal,
and told her that he wished to be honored by nine salutations corresponding to the
nine Choirs of Angels, which should consist of one Our Father and three Hail Marys in
honor of each of the angelic choirs.
St. Michael promised his continual assistance and that of all the holy angels during
life for those who practiced this devotion in his honor.
The Chaplet was approved and indulgenced by Bl. Pope Pius IX in 1851.
The chaplet is begun by saying the following invocation on the medal of St. Michael:
O God, come to my assistance.
O Lord, make haste to help me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as it was in the
beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Say one Our Father and three Hail Marys after each of the following nine salutations
in honor of the nine choirs of angels.
1. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Seraphim, may the
Lord make us worthy to burn with the fire of perfect charity. Amen.
2. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Cherubim, may the
Lord vouchsafe to grant us grace to leave the ways of wickedness to run in the paths
of Christian perfection. Amen.
3. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Thrones, may the
Lord infuse into our hearts a true and sincere spirit of humility. Amen.
4. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Dominions, may the
Lord give us grace to govern our senses and subdue our unruly passions. Amen.
5. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Powers, may the Lord
vouchsafe to protect our souls against the snares and temptations of the devil. Amen.
6. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Virtues may the Lord
preserve us from evil and suffer us not to fall into temptation. Amen.
7. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Principalities, may
God fill our souls with a true spirit of obedience. Amen.
8. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Archangels, may the
Lord give us perseverance in faith and in all good works, in order that we gain the
glory of Paradise. Amen.
9. By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Angels, may the Lord
grant us to be protected by them in this mortal life and conducted hereafter to
eternal glory. Amen.
Say one Our Father in honor of each of the following leading angels:
St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael, our Guardian Angel.
The chaplet is concluded with the following prayers:
O glorious Prince St. Michael, chief and commander of the heavenly hosts, guardian of
souls, vanquisher of rebel spirits, servant in the house of the Divine King, and our
admirable conductor, thou who dost shine with excellence and superhuman virtue,
vouchsafe to deliver us from all evil, who turn to thee with confidence, and enable
us by thy gracious protection to serve God more and more faithfully every day.
V. Pray for us, O glorious St. Michael, Prince of the Church of Jesus Christ.
R. That we may be made worthy of His promises.
Almighty and Everlasting God, who by a prodigy of goodness and a merciful desire for
the salvation of all men, hast appointed the most glorious Archangel, St. Michael,
Prince of Thy Church, make us worthy, we beseech Thee, to be delivered from all our
enemies that none of them may harass us at the hour of death, but that we may be
conducted by him into the august presence of Thy Divine Majesty. This we beg through
the merits of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Source: Our Lady of the Rosary Library)